Home Our Lives Our Travels Advertise/PR 50 by 50 Home Image Map

Thursday, May 29, 2014

Terrace of the Elephants and Terrace of the Leper King

Happy Thursday Y'all. 

Today I'm continuing to share my journey through the small circuit tour we took at Angkor Wat. I realize you are probably getting tired of Cambodia and temple pictures, but I really want to make sure I share everything about our trip. This is more for my memory's sake than, so sorry about that. 
Each place we saw was unique in some way or another, so I am trying to take my time. In the next couple of weeks, I will try to mix in some Korea posts to break up the temple posts. 

Today I am sharing pictures from our walk around the Terraces of the Elephants and the Leper King. 

The Terrace of the Elephants was used by King Jayavarman VII as a place to watch his men return from war. It was also used as a place for public ceremonies and as an audience hall. 









Terrace of the Leper King was built under the reign of Jayavarman VII. The terrace got its name from a sculpture that was found at the site. The state was the Hindu god Yama, the god of death. I guess it was covered in moss and looked similar to someone with leprosy. I still maintain that Bayon was my favorite temple, but the terrace of the leper king was pretty amazing. It was just filled with rows of statues of the Aspara dancers. They were done with such detail it was just amazing. 









I hope you enjoyed looking through these photos as much as I did. While these terraces aren't as large as some of the more famous temples, there is something just as special about them. If you are planning to visit Bayon- I would recommend adding these to your list of things to see.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, this place looks breathtaking! The story behind the terrace's name is really interesting. I'm so jealous of your travels through Cambodia! Keep the pictures & stories coming :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Courtney! Isn't the story pretty cool. I could just imagine the king waiting for people to arrive to some sort of party or event.

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to comment- I appreciate and read each and every one of them. All replies will be in the comment section, please check back to read them!

- Alex