Home Our Lives Our Travels Advertise/PR 50 by 50 Home Image Map

Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Holiday Recipe: Elf Food

The other day I was reading a blog I follow, and I came across a recipe I wanted to try. While I love Bakerella, I often find her recipes to be too complex and I never have any of the ingredients.

But this recipe came from Betty Crocker and I thought I could handle it. *NOTE: This is more time consuming than Reindeer Food. 


This is Elf Food and if you have an Elf on the Shelf you have probably had it before because it is their speciality. 

Here is what you will need: 

(I added the peanut M&Ms because I thought the recipe could use a little color and who doesn't like M&Ms?!) 

1/2 cup white chocolate, 1/2 cup Cheerios cereal, 2 tablespoons candy sprinkles, 6 cups Chex cereal- can be rice or corn, 1/3 cup butter, 1/3 cup packed brown sugar, 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup, and 2 cups mini marshmallows 

1. Melt the white chocolate and stir smooth. Stir in Cheerios cereal. Spread on waxed paper in single layer and top with sprinkles. Let stand for about 30 minutes. Break into pieces and keep it on the side. 

*When I did this I noticed the bottom was still wet so I flipped the Cheerios and repeated the sprinkle process. 


(When separated they are supposed to look like mini Elf size doughnuts!) 

2. Place Chex cereal in large microwavable bowl. (Make sure bowl fits in microwave- I found that our the hard way!) 

3. Melt butter uncovered in microwave. Add brown sugar and maple syrup. Microwave until mixture is boiling. 

4. Pour over Chex cereal stirring until evenly coated. 

5. Microwave Chex cereal mixture uncovered on High 3-4 minutes, stirring every minute, until mixture just begins to brown. Spread on waxed paper or foil. Cool completely, about 15 minutes. 

6. Place back into bowl and mix in marshmallows, and Cheerios pieces. 

*I think you could add more marshmallows and I added the peanut M&Ms. I also tried it with the peppermint M&Ms and it turned out just as good. I like the pop of color the M&Ms add to the otherwise brown mixture. *

7. Store in air tight container. (You can make it up to 2 weeks ahead if it is in an air tight container.) 

8. Serve however you want. 

When I made my first batch I put a batch in pint size canning jars I had in my house. *The whole batch made 6 pint size canning jars. 

(Use some ribbon and tie a nice bow around the jars to add a nice holiday touch.) 

The next time I made it I put it in decorative Chinese take out boxes I found at Target (4 for $5). 
*Note: Norman our Elf made the second batch for my co-workers. :) 

I gave this to my friends at church and I have only heard good things, so I think you should try it.

ENJOY! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment- I appreciate and read each and every one of them. All replies will be in the comment section, please check back to read them!

- Alex