Home Our Lives Our Travels Advertise/PR 50 by 50 Home Image Map

Sunday, November 11, 2012

Thankful Thoughts- Day 10

Day 10:

Today I am thankful for being able to live in Hawaii. 

During the first semester of my freshman year at Georgia College, I applied to BYU Hawaii as a transfer student. By February, I had gotten accepted and was seriously considering whether I should be over 4000 miles away from my family and my home state of Georgia. 

As most of you know- I chose Hawaii. By August of 2007, my mom, me, and four suitcases were on our way to the beautiful island of Hawaii. I had a signed contract for a house in Hau'ula (a town about three miles away from campus and Laie). I was excited and beyond scared... I was also not 100% sure of my choice to go to Hawaii. 

I always had such great dreams of traveling and living on my own, but in reality I am a home body. 

I went to school at BYU Hawaii from 2007-2009. I adjusted to living on an island... seeing a lot (and I mean a lot) of Asians... I got really close with my cousins in Hawaii - The Johnson Family- I went to the beach a lot- saw the huge surf waves during the Winter months- I got called Haole a lot- and I met some really great girlfriends. 

It was a great experience. I was so lucky to have been giving this opportunity. And after a quick 18 months of some life changes (i.e. studying abroad in London, and getting married) it was time to go back. 

I enjoyed my time in Hawaii and when I left in April of 2009 I felt like I was not quite done with life in Hawaii. 

So, while Matt and I were engaged and talking about our future we decided it would be best to move back to Hawaii so I could finish school. As a newlywed couple we moved back (well I moved back) to the beautiful island of Hawaii in January of 2011 and have been ever since. 

While I enjoyed being here as a single lady, it has been way better with my husband. I don't get as lonely or as homesick like before and now Matt and I have awesome memories of our first two years of marriage. 

We have been able to explore the island and go on many adventures. We have gotten used to living in close quarters (i.e. a studio apartment). We have been able to stand on our own as a newlywed couple. I graduated with my bachelors, and Matt started back at school. And we have been able to spend time with Matt's family that live on the island. 

It has been a great blessing to be able to live here. I can't believe I have been able to live in one of the best vacation spots! I am thankful we have this opportunity. 

Thank you for reading my Thankful Thoughts. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment- I appreciate and read each and every one of them. All replies will be in the comment section, please check back to read them!

- Alex