Home Our Lives Our Travels Advertise/PR 50 by 50 Home Image Map

Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Remember Remember... The 11th of September

So yes, I did steal this title from England and Guy Fawkes day, but I can't think of anything better.



The other day I was looking at the birth dates of my students and I noticed they were born in the year 2000!!!! 2000! They were just babies when September 11, 2001 happened. Their whole lives have been in a post 9/11 world, which I think is just crazy and little bit sad.

The school I work at is unique because I have a lot of students whose parents are serving the U.S. military in some capacity or another. I had a parent teacher conference and this student's dad was on his fourth tour! For this child's whole life, her dad has consistently been in and out of a war zone and this is all she has ever known.

I was in the 8th grade when 9/11 happened (just one year older than my students are)! I saw the second plane hit and watched the first tower collapse. I watched the news and saw people jumping from the buildings. I remember being able to go up to the gate to greet a family member... I remember the Twin Towers in movies and t.v. shows. And I think it is important for us to remember. When we forget, things become to casual and eventually they are put out of our minds. This attack is an extremely important part of our history and we need to remember and we need to share our experiences and our memories with the future generations.

My students may not remember 9/11 in the ways that we do, but let me assure you they are living with the consequences every day.

Regardless, of my belief in the war, or my political beliefs, I can tell you that I have complete respect for the men and women that are serving our country.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment- I appreciate and read each and every one of them. All replies will be in the comment section, please check back to read them!

- Alex